Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The iPhone isn’t what I want

I hope you’ll indulge me for a few minutes. I have something I need to take care of. It’s rather personal, so I hope you don’t mind.

I need to talk with my iPhone.

iPhone?

You’re beautiful. You’re a wonderful device and a pleasure to be with out on the town. And it’s not just me that admires you. You know the looks you get wherever we’re traveling around. And you’ve made a difference in my life too. I appreciate that. With you I’ve stayed more connected with family and friends. You’ve shown me how to enjoy TechMeme and Twitter and Thredr on the go. And with no other device have I enjoyed so much checking the weather, or stock prices, or using the stopwatch, or alarms. Plain and simple, you’ve been there when I needed you. (OK, minus a few dropped calls.)

However, no matter how much I enjoy our time together, I’ve come to realize that it’s not working out. It’s time for a change.

I know there’s not much I can say at this point, however, please understand it’s me not you. Simply, I need more.

I’ve come to realize I need a larger display. Your display is gorgeous and fine for infrequent web browsing, however, since I’ve known you I’ve come to realize how important browsing is to me and now I accept the fact that your display is not for me.

I also need a good camera. Life is too short and too fast not to capture photos of what I want. Just an example: You know I’ve had some issues keeping track of my various medications this past year. I know I could have typed them into your notepad, however, I really wanted to take pictures of the medicine bottles and labels so I’d have all the information with me all the time. However, your pictures are just too blurry. I can make out some of the details on the labels, but I know now I need more.

I also need video. Yes, I’ve seen an app online that looks promising, however, I don’t know if this will ever be something we can use together….you know, jailbreaking makes me uncomfortable. And even I were to get over the jailbreaking part, I see now that I need direct connectivity to the Internet so I can broadcast live. I want to experience Qik with my device.

I also know now that I need more of a browser. You’re cute and all and a blast to surf with. And I never realized how much I enjoy pinching just for the fun of it. However, I miss Flash. When we first got together you knew how important Flash was to me, however, for whatever reason I realize you couldn’t adjust. And, frankly, I’m tired of you cutting out all signs of Flash and just leaving tiny blue boxes. Truthfully? It just seems so petty to do this to Flash. I don’t understand why we couldn’t just get it to work out.

And then there’s Silverlight. As a developer I have to keep trying out new technologies and seeing what they can do. I need Silverlight. And I’m not going to accept more cut out blue boxes whenever Silverlight shows up. I’m not going to live that way.

And while I’m being completely honest, I need to be up front and tell you that I need a device which is more connected. WiFi is great at home, but on the go, you’re not the same. Sometimes when we’re searching the web at a store or in the car, you just sit there. I can’t tell if anything is happening. You show a little bit of blue in your address bar, but I can’t read you. I can’t tell if I’ve done something wrong or what. It drives me crazy. I need more.

Where am I going now? Well, despite the fact that I still think you’re the best “MID” out there, I’ve decided I need a MID. A real MID. For me, a MID is just the right size, with just enough connectivity and power to give me the browser experience I want, and to provide me with a camera I need. I realize I’m giving up something great for the hope of something better, but as an early adopter I have to.

And as a programmer, I need the freedom. I know theoretically I can add whatever features I need to you. However, you come with so many rules and restrictions, I always feel like I’m being held back and wearing a straightjacket. I don’t think you trust me. I don’t think you appreciate what I can do for you. I enjoy writing programs that make our lives better and help people. With you I feel like I’m being held back. MIDs are offering me the freedom I want.

I’m sorry about this, iPhone. I realize I committed to another year with you, but I think we need to reconsider this. I’m willing to share our settings for another year if you like, but it can’t be an exclusive. I need to move on. Well, take some time, recharge yourself, and let me know what you think.

I know I’m going to kick myself for letting the best thing go, however, I need to try something different. I’m not going to be happy staying here and it’s not fair to you if we stay together and we don’t get along.

It may be tough for awhile, but give it some time. I know it’ll be the best for the both of us.