Monday, May 12, 2008

Luddite Dumbasses

Megan McArdle (May 05, 2008) - Kindling a flame in my heart

From a comment:

I have some books that I have owned and used for 25 years. I am confident that they will still be usable for the rest of my life, and indeed for several generations hence. Any kindle users willing to make that bet about their eBooks?

I have some books chiseled into stones. I am confident they will still be usable ten thousand years from now. Who needs a Kindle? I have an abacus. I am confident it will still be usable ten thousand years from now. Who needs a computer? I have a sharpened stick with a charcoaled point.

Look. Why don’t you just say you hate progress, and have done with it? Obsolete technology is obsolete technology. No harm in clinging to it because you’re a fogey. Hell, my dad refused to have a push-button phone, and he never mastered the high technology of a VCR player. It didn’t make him a bad person.

But for gawds sake, please stop trying to convince the world that your chiseled rocks are better, okay? Just admit you’re permanently mired in the first and second millenniums, grampy, and leave it at that.