Saturday, May 10, 2008

More raw treats...

...because who doesn't love pictures of (unusual) foodstuffs?

As I mentioned, I brought back raw snacks that I picked up in New York last weekend to sample with Eric and Cindy. Some were bigger hits than others.

Raweos cookies? An obvious crowd pleaser. Soft and chewy, sweet and chocolatey? You can't go wrong. (Er, except for that $8 price tag. And that just gets you nine teensy morsels).

The essene bread ($6 for a small box) and cashew cheese ($7.50 for a tiny knob) were tougher sells. Made from dehydrated sprouted grains and vegetables, the "bread" is really more of a crispy cracker. I liked it okay, though it definitely goes better with a dip or spread. The others weren't so impressed, rendering it about as dry and flavorless as cardboard.

I had high hopes for the cheese. But the truth is, cheese is cheese. There's no recreating it. This one was made from cashews and a probiotic called acidophilus. It left a sour aftertaste, and, sadly, the remainder ended up in the trash can.

Early on, the three of us bemoaned the lack of a cereal crunch in our diets. There are plenty of raw granola recipes around, but my issue with them is they tend to be heavy on the nuts.

The folks over at Living Intentions got wind and sent us some samples of their soon-to-be-released granolas, made from sprouted buckwheat, sunflower and flax seeds and coconut, dried fruits and protein powders. We sampled two kinds -- hemp & greens and cacao & agave. I had to shoo my (non-raw) colleagues' paws away from the cacao flavor, in particular. But I'll be snacking on both once they hit the stores.

One last morsel for you to chew on. Our trio finally made it out for lunch together this week at Alchemy, an organic raw and vegan restaurant just a few minutes from the office. We noshed on great salads and smoothies (I had a tasty almond milk and chai concoction, and a hummus dip that was as close to the real thing that I've tasted).

Once we were happily stuffed, co-owner John Zito brought out a plate of raw confections and melt-in-your-mouth chocolates. So rich and delicious, all you needed was a bite (or two) to satiate your sweet tooth.